In 1854 Joseph Hopson set up a furniture business in West Street, Newbury and in 1886 Alfred Camp started a Drapery Bazaar in Northbrook Street, Newbury. In 1920, Joseph Hopson’s grandson, Paul Hopson, married Alfred Camp’s daughter, Norah and the following year the two businesses merged to create Camp Hopson.
In 1998, Camp Hopson’s Furniture Centre was launched, offering Furniture, Beds, Carpets and Soft Furnishings from a purpose-built, award-winning building trading on two floors, located across the car park behind the Department Store.
In 2004-5, the Grade II* listed Department Store underwent a comprehensive programme of refurbishment, extension and improvements, creating a fully air-conditioned contemporary retail environment trading from three floors.
In 2009, Camp Hopson won the Drapers Award for Best Independent Department Store.
Today, the Camp Hopson Group comprises:-
- 40,000 sq.ft. Department Store
- 20,000 sq.ft. Furniture Centre
- Removals business based in Hambridge Lane, Newbury, incorporating over 25,000 sq.ft. of containerised storage facilities
- Subsidiary company, Woods Removals, located in Dorchester, Dorset
- Funeral business located in West Street, Newbury